Re: [opensuse] APC Back-UPS (Software needed)
Terry Eck wrote:
On 12/04/2015 03:30 PM, stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I will suppose that you do use USB for the connection of the UPS.
The package you need is apcupsd.
You have to set the apcups app to be started in automatic with kde (you do that in systemsettings - startup).
That is all, it is quite easy once you know why it does not work out of box :-)

Thanks to all who replied. The software is installed and working. I started /usr/sbin/apcupsd
as root. I'm not sure how to access systemsettings - startup under kde (which I'm using).

You're using 12.3, so forget about ever seeing apcupsd in the systemsettings. I could never find anything that even suggested a reason why it wouldn't appear there, so I just gave up. You'll need to autostart apcupsd in some appropriate bootscript.

As an aside, in 12.3, every time I rebooted the system, the UPS would shut down then restart. That played havoc with the reboot, since it also turned off the cable modem, which then had to restart.