Re: [opensuse] double dual boot with windows
On 12/09/2015 02:36 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/09/2015 01:54 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
Mostly agreed, but:

- a lot of low-end PCs don't have the Intel CPU extension that makes
virtual so fast (VT-x if I
recall correctly). AMD has a similar extension I believe, but I mostly do
Intel.

I haven't tried a VM without those extensions, but my impression is the
performance is much worse.

Agreed.

But that's been standard for 10 years or more. Anything that can run a
hyper-visor will be fine.
AND lots of memory. Also More cores = better.
But those things also seem to b standard these days.

Here's one counter example (possibly extreme):

http://ark.intel.com/products/81712/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2685-v3-30M-Cache-2_60-GHz

It was released Q3 of last year, so a relatively new CPU.

It's $2K for the recommended price of just the CPU so this is the
opposite of low-end, but it doesn't have VT-x included.

Why that exists, I don't know.

A more personal experience: My business partner bought a MS Surface 2
for $1,000 about 2 years ago. We didn't realize until later that it
didn't have the VT-x extensions. That was in early 2014, so for
whatever reason it was not universal that all decent machines had VT-x
24 months ago.

I don't know about now.

Wow. My first generation Surface Pro, with an intel Core i5-3317U
has VT-x. I run VMware Player on it to run a choice of virtual machines
and it works like a champ.

With the whole SURFACE line (just like any others) you have to check which
processor you are getting
and preventing obsolescence suggests buying the high end processors if you can
afford it.
That said, although the hardware is nice, very nice, there are cheaper machines
out there
than the Surface line