Re: [opensuse] Best FS fo PostgreSQL/MariaDB
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 13:52:10 +0100
Dne Čt 3. prosince 2015 07:33:47, Anton Aylward napsal(a):
On 12/03/2015 05:31 AM, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/25/2015 04:27 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Any other ideas?

Add memory.

Well that will help for reading, but due to ACID every transaction has
to end up written on the drive, not even in kernel or fs cache (or
whatever additional cache layer is involved). Which means that writing
speed is still hard-bound by "random write" of your drive.

This is one point I was thinking about. The second is when whole system is on
SSD and the web application itself is also there, it should help overall
performance.

In absolute terms that is true, but in practical terms queries, joins
and sorts dominate the activity of a database that is making use of its
relational nature.

If, perhaps, the database is dominated by writes, then really its doing
logging, in which case a relational database is probably not the best
choice for this function.

It's dominated by reading, I'd say - records are not updated too frequently,
but are frequently requested.

As I keep saying ...

Context is Everything

Perhaps the OP would care to comment on the nature of the application

There are several web applications using complex searches and filtering of
records and the applications provide also „big“ data like PDF and high
resolution images. It is for biologists - people browse or search using
various criteria for taxa they wish and then display/download details about
them. Those files are not stored in DBs. Also there are several, I'd say
ordinary, webs using CMS like Drupal.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu