Re: [opensuse] Another example of deliberate system? supporters deliberately sabotaging previously working software...
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 17:03:02 -0600
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The reasoning seems to be that anyone who 'supports' the changeover to
systemd, which probably includes anyone who isn't explicitly outspoken
against it, (hence the "deliberate systemd supporters") makes a change
(and any change must, ipso fact, be "deliberate")

Yes I noticed this, but it's sufficiently vague that I find it adds to
verbosity, not the argument. So at this point I still don't see the
systemd relevance.

that upsets Linda or
"breaks" her highly customized and very non-standard version of Linux
(which as far as I can make out she has because she seems to think that
the mainstream version the rest of us use is somehow 'broken' or
something, but since the case she presents doesn't make sense to me I
can't be sure) that was "previously working" then it constitutes
"deliberate sabotage" every bit as much as systemd itself is
conspiracy[1] by some "establishment" (quite possibly Redhat) on their
way to becoming every bit as much an Evil Empire as Microsoft.

I might just resign myself to not understanding in total.

I am frustrating by lack of standardization in Linux distributions
too. How many times have I gone on my own not so mini rant about
booting non-standardization among distros and upstream GRUB, etc. etc.
in the short time I've been on this list? If anything systemd helps
standardization as it matures.

But the relationship between sendmail configuration file and systemd,
I'm lost. The sendmail update almost certainly should not be stepping
on that file within a stable release of a versioned OS/distro. But
that's the same with or without systemd. There's nothing about the
systemd way of things that would care about comments in some
configuration file: unless something about the old way is not merely
deprecated, but compatibility breakage is happening, which again
shouldn't happen in a stable release update.

[1] The definition "a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or
harmful" makes me wonder: the effort to convert from sysvinit to systemd
is extremely well documented and supported, so its hardly 'secret', and
while Linda may consider it harmful its certainly not unlawful, though
the threats against the life of the developers are.

I have not read in this thread any threats. But the community can't
stand for such things if they occur. It's made even worse on e.g.
Slashdot where they tolerate it even from "anonymous coward" postings.
Even flippant and sympathetic to violence posts are when censorship
(filtering) is absolutely appropriate, maybe even just an instant X
days ban.

--
Chris Murphy