[opensuse] ReHaSh/UpDate: fetchmail from gmail problems
* Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [07-20-15 16:16]:
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [07-20-15 06:47]:

On 2015-07-20 05:26, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
В Mon, 20 Jul 2015 01:38:50 +0200 "Carlos E. R." <> пишет:

/etc/gai.conf may be used to change precedence of IPv4 vs. IPv6;
default it to favor IPv6. I run with IPv6 disabled since years (my
provider does not offer IPv6 anyway) so I cannot test. I also am
not sure whether this affects all glibc name resolution behavior or
only specifically getaddrifo.

Well, I have just un-commented the line:

# For sites which prefer IPv4 connections change the last line to
#
precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

I don't know if anything else is necessary, everything is commented
out in that file. But as I don't have problems with fetchmail, I can't
say if this works. Patrick, please try this with IPv6 enabled ;-)

I uncommented the "precedence" line quoted above and restarted network,
issued: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/enp1s0/disable_ipv6
Confirmed via ifconfig that ipv6 was active and immediately saw failures
in fetchmail to gmail.

Issuing "echo 0 ..." returned functionality to fetchmail/gmail connection.

Guess it "does not work for me" :)
Or, I don't know how to properly use it (distinct possibility).

Perhaps the "imap.gmail.com group of addresses" need to be added to
/etc/gai.conf ???

Happy to test more if someone can give more guidance.

Some days ago my wired network became very slow, almost crawling, so I
disabled ipv6 via yast and restarted machine. Name resolution and network
activity returned to my expected norm.

Later, on a whim, I enabled ipv6 using yast, checked that
/proc/...disable_ipv6 was "0", checked that "ifconfig" displayed ipv6
addresses and checked name resolution and connection speeds. They all
appeared at speeds expected. ??? I monitored my fetchmail log for
problems fetching mail from gmail and see none.

wtf ??? :)

If I notice another problem, my next approach will be to disable ipv6 on
my att motorola modem/router.

tks for listening