[opensuse] Re: Thunderbird 38.1.0 don’t show Outlook *proprietary format* email if "HTML original" is selected
Il 31/07/2015 23:24, Linda Walsh ha scritto:
Marco Calistri wrote:
https://www.buffalo.edu/ubit/service-guides/email/ubmail-powered-by-exchange/managing-your-ub-exchange-mail/configuring-outlook-to-not-send-winmail-dat-attachments.html

The MS support sites that describe the format were closed off to me.
The following stles
were inserted at the top of the page -- to force all content NOT to
display(none).
(example page: @ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/241538 )
had same result on other MS pages).

.ng-hide .error-content {
display: none;
text-align: center;
font-family: 'Segoe UI';
padding-bottom: 12px;
}
.error-content h2 {
margin-top: 8px;
margin-bottom: 24px;
color: black;
}

Outlook can use a method called Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format
(TNEF) to package information for sending messages. The use of TNEF is
affected by settings in Outlook that are referred to as Rich Text Format
(RTF).

A TNEF-encoded message contains a plain text version of the message and
a bundled binary attachment that contains the other parts of the
original message. This attachment is named Winmail.dat, and includes:

The formatted text version of the message (including fonts or colors)
OLE objects (embedded pictures and embedded Office documents)
Special Outlook features (custom forms and meeting requests)
Any file attachments that were attached to the original message

Unfortunately, the Winmail.dat bundled attachment is not readable by
many other email clients or by Outllook for Macintosh and it may even
appear to the recipient as though the expected attachment is missing.

------------
Only fix is from those using outlook:

How to Avoid Sending Winmail.dat Attachments
Setting Global Properties

Set the Global Properties to have Outlook by default send your email in
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML):

Outlook 2007: Select Tools > Options > Email Format > Internet
Options. Select Convert to HTML format.
Outlook 2010 and 2013: Select File > Options > Mail and then scroll
to the bottom of the dialog. Select Convert to HTML format.

Hi Linda,

Many thanks, very interesting explication!

The problem is that such TNEF encoded email are coming from a customer
then I cannot change its settings, at least I can forward him this
technical details to see if he can/wish to change his current configuration.

Best regards!

--
Marco Calistri
opensuse 13.2 (Harlequin) 64 bit - Kernel 4.1.3-4-desktop Gnome 3.14.2