Re: [opensuse] Re: konsole dictating dimensions of gvim window
On Sat, Jun 06, 2015 at 08:09:26PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
В Sat, 06 Jun 2015 09:34:50 -0700
Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> пишет:

toothpik wrote:
On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 06:04:02PM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
toothpik wrote:

my request for my winsize is honored if I use alt-F2 to run the bash
starter script, but if I run it from konsole the gvim window is as big
as the konsole
----

That is a **feature**.

if that's true it's a feature I'd like to know how to turn off

how in heck do I regain control of my window size?

Default size for gvim window can also be set in Xresources. It is
extensively documented in vim help. Including the fact that
parent terminal size is the default :)

wow for a brief moment I suffered a spasm of optimism there really is an
answer to this -- it sounds spot on what my issue is

but if the "extensive documentation" you are referring to is the little
taste of info under

:h xterm-resize

which appears to directly address my issue, and when the magic line

XTerm*allowWindowOps: true

is added to ~/.Xresources and a

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

is performed, then

xrdb -query

shows the new setting tucked away amongst all the other settings, one
could justifiably feel it is fixed -- until he tries it and the window
still refuses to assume the size requested in the script (exasperatingly
honoring the column setting but not the lines)

thank you Andrei, but this didn't give me back control of my gvim window
size (when the starter script is run from konsole) -- is there really
more help elsewhere I've failed to find?

is there a reboot necessary? do I have to do the xrdb -merge under a
full moon? (we're only 4 days after the full moon -- doesn't that
count?)