Re: [opensuse] konsole dictating dimensions of gvim window
On 06/03/2015 08:34 PM, toothpik wrote:
I am running openSUSE v 13.1, konsole v 2.11.3, gvim v 7.4.729

if I start a gvim session from the konsole command line it assumes the
same dimensions as konsole -- if I instead start gvim from the alt-F2
run starter it assumes whatever dimensions I have specified in my
startup script, or it defaults to a cute 25 line by 80 column display

can someone tell me how to end the tyranny of konsole sizing my gvim
windows?

I wonder if you have aliasing vis 'search' going on.

if i use 'gvim' i get small windows, but different positions for each of
your two use cases.

but if in the xterm of the konsole window I run 'vim' or 'vi' it appears
as you describe, the complete window.

When I run 'alias' I don't see anything to do with vim or gvim or vi
Please don't get confused between bash's 'alias' and the email alias
mechanism.

There is also 'alternatives'. I don't have any set up for vim, gvim or vi

anton@Mainbox:~> which gvim
/usr/bin/gvim
anton@Mainbox:~> which vim
/usr/bin/vim
anton@Mainbox:~> which vi
/usr/bin/vi
anton@Mainbox:~> ls -l /usr/bin/gvim /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vi /bin/vim
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2396872 Apr 3 2014 /bin/vim
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2648040 Apr 3 2014 /usr/bin/gvim
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jul 11 2014 /usr/bin/vi -> /bin/vim
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jul 11 2014 /usr/bin/vim -> /bin/vim