Re: [opensuse] openSUSE Windows AD client and Group Policies
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:14:42 +0300
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Roger Oberholtzer
<roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the office, our openSUSE machines join the Windows Active
Directory. This works great and allows one to log in using the AD
credentials. Not that we use that. But it works great.

My question here is how much more we could use from the AD in Linux. I
know that if SAMBA is a domain controller, it can serve group policy
files to clients. But is there anything SAMBA as a client can do with
Group Policies? I am thinking things like mapping shared drive or
printers. I only seem to see (or recognize) this discussion in the
context of a SAMBA controller, not as a client.

Looks like at least someone tried to implement it; not sure what
current status is.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/GSOC_GPO