Re: [opensuse] SD card error
On 06/01/2015 02:36 AM, jdd wrote:

the target file system is fAT32 (no choice)

Actually you do have a chouce ... most likely.

There are supposed to be (out of Samsung) devices that use more modern,
Linux derived, file systems. Maybe the influence of Android, who knows.
Certainly the Linux file systems and even NTFS don't work with "Older"
video devices, or most phones.

But fat32 has its limits.
Most notably a 32G limit

That wasn't too bad when my camera was living on the then expensive 16G
cards :-) But the spec sheet said that it can handle 64G and 128G cards.
So, apparently, can my phone. (see other posting.)

So I end up using
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

And yes there is a 3rd part implementation for openSuse:

Information for package fuse-exfat:
-----------------------------------
Repository: home:Reki
Name: fuse-exfat
Version: 1.0.1-2.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/home:Reki
Installed: Yes
This driver is the first free exFAT file system implementation with
write support. exFAT is a simple file system created by Microsoft. It is
intended to replace FAT32 removing some of it's limitations. exFAT is a
standard FS for SDXC memory cards.

There is also a non-fuse imnplementation
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home%3Aenzokiel&package=exfat-nofuse

and

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home%3AX0F%3AHSF&package=exfat-nofuse

Information for package exfat-utils:
------------------------------------
Repository: Packman Repository
Name: exfat-utils
Version: 1.1.1-1.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: http://packman.links2linux.de
Installed: Yes
This project aims to provide a full-featured exFAT file system
implementation for GNU/Linux and other Unix-like systems as a FUSE
module and a set of utilities.

YMMV.