Re: [opensuse] Fibre speed [Was: raid use case]
On 2015-06-01 09:43, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, I know that with copper pair there are technical limitations to
the upload speed. Both with high speed modems (V90) and with ADSL. But
fiber, which is what I have since very recently, doesn't have any
technical limitation. The limitation is arbitrary, or commercial.

Commercial / for marketing reasons. I think the asymmetric connections
on fibre are offered because consumers who move from xDSL will feel
more comfortable with an asymmetric spec. Silly, I know.

Yes, silly. :-)
But true.

They assume that if I want symmetrical speed is because I want to
serve things.

Not an unreasonable assumption. Is there any other reason?

The cloud. Using online services like google docs. Working online in
general. Working at home and sending large files to the office.

At the start of internet, one of the uses was connecting from any
computer to any other computer to get a file you wanted. Friend to
friend (not anonymous). Nat and dynamic IPs broke it. ISPs did not want
it. They wanted us to connect only to established servers.

Of course, people need services that connect a user to another user, and
for these they need intermediaries (think skype, f.i.). IPv6 might
restore the original idea, /if/ everybody is again given a fixed IP.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)