Re: [opensuse] PDFs printing 2" offset in landscape mode with Adobe
On 2014-11-29 02:56, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/28/2014 02:11 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Adobe? You mean acroread? No way it can be the default, as it is no
longer distributed. Adobe no longer supports Linux.

What are you really using? what oS?

12.2
Why? What do you use?

ROTFL!

That's ancient history.

They may not support it but that doesn't stop me running it :-)

The reason I ask this is that this odd formatting is recent and I wonder
if it is to do with the way adobe invokes ghostscript to hand off to
CUPS in postscript.

It gets different with acroread in the mix.
I think it does its own decoding, then calls the printer, handing over
the postscript data.

Damn it all, this printer can handle PDF directly!

But acroread may not know it :-)
Or cups.

zypper info acroread
Reading installed packages...

Information for package acroread:

Yes, but you do not get updates to it for two reasons: one, that 12.2 is
out of maintenance anyway, but the other reason is that adobe stopped
maintenance of the Linux version of acroread on 2013-07

http://en.opensuse.org/Adobe_Reader

«Adobe no longer provides security updates for Adobe Reader under Linux.
Therefore the "acroread" RPM package is dropped from the distribution
for openSUSE 13.1 to protect openSUSE users.
The Adobe Reader version 9 had end of support since July 2013. The new
versions 10 and 11 (Adobe Reader X and XI) are not available for Linux»

The recommendation is to, at least, remove the package
"acroread-browser-plugin", to impede read pdfs directly from the network
with adobe software.

I use acroread sometimes, but I jailed it with apparmour.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >