Re: [opensuse] Does openSUSE store IPv6 addresses somewhere?
On 11/28/2014 02:59 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 28-11-14 om 04:30 schreef James Knott:
I just set up a 2nd IPv6 subnet for my guest WiFi. While my openSuSE
13.1 based router provides the correct router config via router
advertisement, for some reason the "client" computer, running 12.3 keeps
on sending out neighbour advertisements for the address it would have
when connected to my main network. Ifconfig shows it has IPv6 addresses
for both subnets, though it's only connected to one. Ip -6 route show
also shows routes for both subnets. Is that info being cached
somewhere, when it shouldn't be? That computer is using the KDE network
manager.

BTW, I have a /56 subnet, which equals 256 /64 subnets, of which I'm
currently using 2.

James,

I'm not an ip-v6 guru at all, but ipv6 addresses are valid for some time.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/hints-daemons-radvd.html
describes this a bit.

I'll have to look into that, but why should it survive a reboot? Also,
why should it assume it's connected to a network that it's not? That's
the whole purpose of router advertisements, to tell the device what
networks are available. The computer I'm using is a notebook, which I
should be able to take to another network and have it work there without
problem. With IPv4 and DHCP, while the computer will try to get the
previous assigned address, it won't get it if it's not available on
another network. Also, I have seen this issue on a smart phone, so it's
not just an openSuSE issue.

P.S. can you point me to documentation how to set up ipv6 routes ? Or
should I start a new thread ?

Same as with IPv4. You use the ip commands:
ip address add <address>/64 dev <dev ID>
ip route add <subnet address>/64 dev <dev ID>

The above assumes a /64 subnet.