Re: [opensuse] Does openSUSE store IPv6 addresses somewhere?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:15:39 +0100
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Op 28-11-14 om 04:30 schreef James Knott:
I just set up a 2nd IPv6 subnet for my guest WiFi. While my openSuSE
13.1 based router provides the correct router config via router
advertisement, for some reason the "client" computer, running 12.3
keeps on sending out neighbour advertisements for the address it
would have
when connected to my main network. Ifconfig shows it has IPv6
addresses
for both subnets, though it's only connected to one. Ip -6 route
show
also shows routes for both subnets. Is that info being cached
somewhere, when it shouldn't be? That computer is using the KDE
network manager.

BTW, I have a /56 subnet, which equals 256 /64 subnets, of which I'm
currently using 2.

James,

I'm not an ip-v6 guru at all, but ipv6 addresses are valid for some
time.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/hints-daemons-radvd.html
describes this a bit.

P.S. can you point me to documentation how to set up ipv6 routes ? Or
should I start a new thread ?

Look up radvd.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.2°C)