Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On 11/25/2014 02:07 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/25/2014 01:48 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 11/25/2014 01:35 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
19V to 2.2V is one hell of a drop!
It's a significant voltage drop, but not a power drop with a switching
supply. The current would go up by a similar ratio. If a linear
regulator were used, you'd lose almost 90% of the power as heat.

Please see my reply to Lew.

I assume you mean this:
"There is no switcher in the laptop that I can
see when I take mine apart, just regulator chips."

Do you know what you're looking for? Are you certain there's no ferrite
transformer in there?j They can be quite small. Any regulator chips
are likely to be for a switching regulator, as a linear regulator would
waste too much power.