Re: [opensuse] UPS : replacing battery with 12 volt Jelly Car Battery
On 11/24/2014 01:50 PM, jdebert wrote:

I'm curious about how long a typical "consumer" UPS can run on battery
before it fails. What would the maximum run time be and what limits it.
Never know when you'll need it for longer than a few minutes. If I were
in the middle of editing media I would want as much time as I can get
to get to a decent save point before shutting down. Same for games.

jd

I assume you mean how many years can you use the original battery
before you replace it with a new one, as opposed to how long
a "typical consumer" UPS can run after any given power failure.

The expected run time after a power failure is printed on the box
the UPS came in, assuming you know the load your computer imposes
on it.You can pretty much read that off of the back panel of
the computer, the monitor, etc. Add them up, do some calculations
and you can get an estimate of runtime.

But beyond that, there is the issue of declining run time as the
battery ages. Unfortunately this is harder to determine.

Some units have little run-time estimate displays built in, which
can give you an estimate of remaining runtime.