Re: [opensuse] Re: btrfs (with subvolumes) & raid-1 setup
On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's an interesting strawman argument

I do not argue with anything. You asked me to explain and I explained.

Firstly in recovery mode there is no need for the root of the file
system you are 'mending' to be a subvolume. As I've said before, the
'mending' from recovery of an unbootable systems is a well established
procedure and works with any file system. It works, I know from my own
experience, with BtrFS without the need for any subvolume trickery.

Having booted from the recovery CD/DVD of your choice you can mount the
hard disk RootFS at /mnt. You can do this with ANY file system,
ext[234], ReiserFS, XFS or BtrFS.

All the tools available on your recovery system are still available.

Production systems have limited maintenance window when changes can be
applied. If anything goes wrong they do not have luxury of spending
time to recover - you need system up and running as soon as possible.
btrfs opens up possibility of having cheap and space efficient
fallback to known good state so you can easily revert changes. Whether
you are going to use this possibility or not - is up to you. I think
this possibility is very useful and that current implementation in
(open)SUSE makes it less convenient to use than it could be.