[opensuse] Re: boot with root as subvolume
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:33:22 -0500
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It looks to me like grub2 doesn't know about your /@/ part.

Right.

Since the openSuse YAST installer doesn't know about that I'm not
surprised.

Well, Yast is not the only tool to manage one's OS.

I believe that e.g. Yast can't create full ISP mail server with virtual
domains, using MySQL for handlin domains/accounts/aliases, Dovecot with
full SASL auth. etc., but I still like that Yast can help with *many*
other tasks.

The reso of the opensuse community seems to have got by without
the /@/ - the root at a subvolume of itself, so far.

Well, btrfs & snapshotting are new things in Suse. Those things are not
present in Debian (Sid) either, but there, at least, one can configure
it manually.

I'm still unclear as to why you are so insistent about begin
different.

First of all, I'm in the process of moving from Debian to Suse, and one
thing I want is to have *identical* setup to which I'm accustomed for
some time already.

Moreover, when/if you have need to boot with some rescueOS and you mount
your OS, it much nicer to see something like this:

$ ls -l /mnt/btrfs/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 210 Lis 18 16:21 @/
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20 Tra 23 2014 @home/

than your whole OS populated with files.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest
well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the