Re: [opensuse] Re: Use crontabs (was Re: openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?)
On 2014-11-23 03:03, Linda Walsh wrote:

But but but... you said:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:38:34 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Yes, that's the problem with this implementation.
It BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! one after the other.

You can't, as John asks, determine the time each specific one runs at.
^^^^---- ???

Certainly, you can not, unless you modify extensively how the system
"periodic scripts" are inserted today. As it is now, they are all
executed one after the other, as fast as possible, starting the group at
a time you can select.

That's how the system is setup today, and very similarly since way more
than a decade.

You can, of course, move the jobs out of ...daily, and create
traditional cronjobs, and thus define the exact time for them to run. Or
perhaps, if you know how, setup anacron entries instead.

Of course you can do many things if you know how and have the time. But
we are talking of how the system comes configured out of installation.

You asserted that the exact scheduling wasn't available with the current
cron
that supports the anacron (batch) scheduling feature, but cronie supports
both and AFAIK, it's the latest version of a cron to ship on openSuse
systems
(no?)

No. He says that it is not available via the SuSE run-cron job.

Do not assume that everyone else has our knowledge and experience; do
not assume everyone has had the time to dig into how the system works.
----
I didn't assume -- I just looked at the manpage and saw it supported
both. You asserted that the current cron didn't have this capability.
I am seeing your statements as internally inconsistent.

Because you are mixing paragraphs.

To make use of anacron type entries you have to create, it seems,
/etc/anacrontab:

+++·····················

Cron checks these files and directories: /etc/anacrontab system
crontab, usually used to run daily, weekly, monthly jobs. See
anacrontab(5) for more details. /etc/cron.d/ directory that contains
system cronjobs stored for different users. /var/spool/cron directory
that contains user crontables created by the crontab command.

But there is no "man anacrontab". Although it is the first time, in
years, that I even notice anacron being mentioned in the openSUSE man pages.

So, again, it may be possible to do many things. But you need knowledge,
expertise, and TIME, to set up the system differently than the way it comes.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)