Re: [opensuse] Use crontabs (was Re: openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?)
On 11/22/2014 09:29 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/22/2014 12:17 PM, jdd wrote:
Le 22/11/2014 18:13, Anton Aylward a écrit :

but the OP was the guy that got hit THUD! by these "only" things
rendering his system unusable and asking us for help.
being the only time I see this for years, I doubt of the diagnostic.
There must be something else
Well go back over the thread.
The OP describes something happening every day at the same time.
That tends to indicate its something regularly scheduled.
What else but cron?

We've looked at the cron.daily/ scripts and found some possible
candidates: log rotation, nearly full disk, database backup ...

As for the "there must be something else", I'm sure I'm not the only one
who would be interested in alternatives. Do you have suggestions?

Perhaps the OP should get back to us and tell us what he's found?

I'm not OP, and I'm also a bit late to this thread, but I recall an annoying
issue with updatedb causing balkiness not too long ago. It wasn't immediately
obvious what was going on and I doubt if a non-technical user would have
figured it out.

Regards,
Lew