Re: [opensuse] Re: btrfs (with subvolumes) & raid-1 setup
On 11/22/2014 10:03 AM, Gour wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 09:23:22 -0500
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If the ROOT FS is the root then there's no sense it it also being a
subvolume

Well, the whole setup is cleaner and allows one to e.g. mount one's root
to some other place, but I was not aware if there is some gotcha in
regard to snapshots.

Each BtrFS has its own

If, for example, as I once tried, you have /home in a separate container
as a quite separate BtrFS you can mount it on /home on the root FS. It
doesn't matter if the root FS is a BtrFS or not, and if it is it doesn't
matter if the /home directory on the root FS is a subvolume or not as
the mount of the external will, as is the case with any FS combination,
overlay it.

As it happened, when I tried that I _initially_ had the /home on the
root at a subvolume, then unmounted the second drive, removed the
subvolume, created a new /hone directory *which of course had nothing in
it) and remounted /home. All was fine.

You can configure the snapshot for each FS independently.

The "cleaner" makes no sense to me.
As for mount ....

For quite another reason I once had to boot in maintenance mode and had
a RAMFS and mounted my BtrFS containing the system on the RAMFS/mount,
and did the other stuff needed so I could do a chroot.

The RAMFS's fstab had no information about the BtrFS; the mount was from
a manually entered command line.

What I'm saying is that as far as mounting the 'ROOTFS' goes it being a
BtrFS and having subvolumes

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL

So there is no reason to have the root of the FS as a subvolume in the
fstab.

A subvolume of what?

Of btrfs filesystem.

But it *IS* the root of the BtrFS.

What you are trying to do is declare that the fs is subvolme of itself.

The reality of subvolume-ness lies not in what is in the /etc/fstab but
in what the FS thinks it has.

You have the 12.3 installed?
Try
btrfs subvolume list -aqt /