Re: [opensuse] grub2 installation onto mdraid raid device
Andrei Borzenkov írta:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov írta:
В Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:01:11 +0100 (CET)
Istvan Gabor пишет:

Istvan Gabor írta:

Here is what I would like to do:
<I have a system with two linux OSs, both are installed on mdraid raid1.
I would like to install grub2 on the root partitions/devices of the given
OSs, and a grub2 on MBR. The MBR grub2 would only chainload the other
grub2 on the root partition. Is this possible, how?

Looking at it second time - why would you want it? What are you trying to
achieve? At >the end grub-install does exactly the same - it installs
mini-bootloader in MBR that >chainloads full grub from Linux MD boot
partition.

Thanks. Here is what I would lie to achieve:

Previously, when I used lilo or grub 1/legacy I always installed the boot
loader for the >>given OS on the root device of the OS. I installed another
instance of the boot loader >>on MBR. This boot loader only linked/loaded
the other boot loader on the root device. I >>lie this approach to make
clear separations of different OSs. The mbr boot loader only >>list major
types of OSs I can select. Eg:

openSUSE 12.2
openSUSE 12.1
openSUSE 11.2
Gentoo
Windows XP
Windows 2000

This bootloader would need to store configuration somewhere.
Configuration can be either embedded or stored on disk. Embedding
makes it more difficult to change configuration in the future.

I don't know the embedding method. I stored my configuration files in a
separated directory on one of the OSs.

Where was configuration of your MBR bootloader kept in the past?

It was /boot/grub-chain on one of the linux OSs, and it had menu.lst etc.
I installed grub using the grub shell, for the chainloader eg.:

# grub
GNU GRUB version 0.97 ...
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup --force-lba --prefix=/boot/grub-chain (hd0) (hd0,0)
grub> quit

I would suggest having dedicated partition for first-stage bootloader
and its configuration that can then be edited using normal editor.

It's not clear for me what dedicated partitions means in this case. A separate
/boot partition for all OSs, or only for grub2 bootloader?

This partition can be on Linux MD. Is it acceptable?

Probably. I'd like to see how this would be. Do I have to repartition my drives
or is it enough to add a new partition (I have empty space for new partitions).

Thanks.

Istvan