Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
On 11/19/2014 10:50 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
If you need that degree of customization, just take those jobs out,
probably by taking out the scripts from the daily folder, and create an
enties for them in /etc/cron.d/mycustom instead, line per line. Not in
/etc/crontab, because that has problems with updates.

Er ... NOT! Or "not-Quite"

You are correct that updates will 'restore' /etc/crontab[1]
but they will also restore the scripts you/I took out of the daily folder.

The best I can think of is to replace those scripts you've taken out of
daily with ones of the same name that are empty files (or non
executable) and hope that the update produces .rpmnew ones that don't
actually over-write them.

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about how the system decides to
create a .rpmnew/.rpmold rather than simply replace a file.

[1] Will that? Won't we get a .rpmnew?