Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-13.1: at 17:00 system begins thrashing: What is cause?
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2014-11-18 18:14]:
On 2014-11-19 00:27, Philip Amadeo Saeli wrote:
Help!

Every day the last few days at precisely 17:00, my openSUSE-13.1 system
begins thrashing furiously and becomes unusable for 1-2 hours or so.
I've been trying to figure out what runs at that time, but the system
has again become too unresponsive for me to find out. Also, since it
appears to be I/O bound, it doesn't show up in the "top" display.

Leave three terminals (xterm) running, one with "top", another with
"iotop -o", the last with "tailf /var/log/messages". You may have to
install it. Be sure that they are both running before 5.

Then, at 5, watch the display.

Yes, the system is using quite a bit of swap space presently, and I am
not yet able to kill off any more processes to free up VM space (which I

Then add another xterm, sorted by the "RES" field. It will display
memory hungry apps on top.

If the machine is too unresponsive, you can try ssh remotely to see the
terminals.

Good suggestions. Thanks!

BTW, the system has returned to normalcy now. I'll set it up before
that time tomorrow and see what I can find. "top" didn't show anything:
couldn't find any I/O oriented field(s) to sort on. "iotop" looks like
what I need.

--Phil

--
Philip Amadeo Saeli