Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 2014-11-18 17:58, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/18/2014 11:41 AM, James Knott wrote:

Yes, but somebody still has to generate that hosts file and load it into
the router. The router doesn't magically go out and ask every IP device
what its name is, what its aliases are. And anyway, the devices may be
signing White Knights, and I don't mean "in satin".

It can handle over addresses and names via dhcp, and add those
relationships to the dns server. The dnsmasq daemon can do it.

Of course, you still need to assign names to machines, or have it assign
arbitrary-automatic names it chooses. It is possible.

As a matter of fact, my router finds out the names of windows machines
it serves via dhcp. And of some android devices. My Linux machines are
on fixed addresses, so I don't see them in that list - but still, there
is a protocol for that naming, and the local dns server could find them
out, too.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >