Re: [opensuse] Firewall
On 11/18/2014 05:58 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
Yes, but somebody still has to generate that hosts file and load it into
the router. The router doesn't magically go out and ask every IP device
what its name is, what its aliases are.

As the list in the Web-UI in a netgear router is correct,
I assume it gets the names from the DHCP requests the clients
are initiating. From /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp:

## Type: string
## Default: AUTO
#
# specify a hostname to send ( -h option)
#
# specifies a string used for the hostname option field when dhcpcd sends DHCP
# messages. Some DHCP servers will update nameserver entries (dynamic DNS).
# Also, some DHCP servers, notably those used by @Home Networks, require the
# hostname option field containing a specific string in the DHCP messages from
# clients.
#
# By default the current hostname is sent ("AUTO"), if one is defined in
# /etc/HOSTNAME.
# Use this variable to override this with another hostname, or leave empty
# to not send a hostname.
#
DHCLIENT_HOSTNAME_OPTION="AUTO"

I also have such a netgear router - I have to look ...

Have a nice day,
Berny