Re: [opensuse] Firewall
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 08:44:08 +0100
James Knott wrote:

On 11/17/2014 01:16 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Also see:
/etc/samba/lmhosts
/usr/share/man/man5/lmhosts.5.gz
Seems like lmhosts is only for samba then? Not that I care, just
being curious.

It and WINS actually go back to before TCP/IP became popular. Back
then, it was used with NetBIOS on DOS, Windows and OS/2. I came
across those settings when I was doing 3rd level OS/2 support at IBM
Canada. At that time, local LAN file sharing was not carried on IP.

Ah yes, you're right, I forgot about that. lmhosts, that brings back
some repres... forgotten memories.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.1°C)