Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 13.2 and old xp computer
On 2014-11-17 20:37, jdd wrote:
Le 17/11/2014 19:44, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

during install parties, I try to avoid as much as possible to change
defaults, much easier to maintain afterward

It is my policy to never stick to the defaults, without checking what
they are, and changing whatever I do not like. I write a paper note with
what I change.

On the other hand, the solution your friend suggested, creating a /boot
partition is correct. But I would create it with ext2 (two). Although no
need to shrink /windows, it can be anywhere. Even a logical partition
works.

Is ext2 always available? It was my first idea, but i think I have read
than not every system read it :-(

Of course it is available. I do not know of any openSUSE system
incapable of using it.

Alternatively, you can create ext3/4 without journal. A bit trickier, as
you have to type the concoction (it is what is recommended for usb flash
sticks).

mke2fs -t ext4 -L SOMENAME -O ^has_journal /dev/sdXY

what made me glas there is that with Linux there is always a solution,
often many. Trys this with the competition :-)

Yep.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >