Re: [opensuse] grub2 installation onto mdraid raid device
В Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:01:11 +0100 (CET)
Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

Here is what I would like to do:
<I have a system with two linux OSs, both are installed on mdraid raid1. I
would like to install grub2 on the root partitions/devices of the given OSs,
and a grub2 on MBR. The MBR grub2 would only chainload the other grub2 on
the root partition. Is this possible, how?

Looking at it second time - why would you want it? What are you trying to
achieve? At the end grub-install does exactly the same - it installs
mini-bootloader in MBR that chainloads full grub from Linux MD boot partition.

Not really. grub2 does not support installation of core.img on Linux MD
device. What is possible is to build core.img but not install it as
first stage (grub2-install --no-bootsector) and build special core.img
that will load and boot directly another /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
from Linux MD and use it as first stage loader. I'm not sure if either
is directly supported by YaST. If you are interested to do it
manually, I could explain how.

Thanks, Andrei. Yes, please, am interested. I also would like to know what is
the correct method to install grub2 on the raid MBR. I read that I should
install it on the devices that form the array, eg: grub-install /dev/sda,
grub-install /dev/sdb. But I am not sure if this method is current or
obsolete. And what is the case when I have partition arrays and not the whole
disks are arranged to form the array? Eg. /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 forms
/dev/md0 etc.

To install grub2 in raid MBR you simply run

grub2-install /dev/sda
grub2-install /dev/sdb

assuming your /boot is on mdXX=(sda1,sdb1) (or any other
partitions on these disks). That is what YaST does anyway.

So again - what are you trying to accomplish?