Re: [opensuse] When not to use Btrfs for /home?
On 11/15/2014 11:14 AM, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
On Saturday 15 November 2014 08:51:11 Anton Aylward wrote:
On 11/15/2014 02:46 AM, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
I've heard/read somewhere that Btrfs handles virtual machines badly,
because of huge random access disk file and COW nature of Btrfs, can
anyone confirm that?

DUH?

Why not do as I have done - create another partition using another FS
type and mount that under /home/<user>/VMs/

What? You mean you are not using LVM and can't create (possibly
encrypted) partitions on-demand as the need arises? Can't take
snapshots to simplify backups?

Hm, that is really good idea. I do not trust LVM, so I will experiment with
mounting subvolume with nodatacow, maybe that will work as I expect...

NOT!

I can't see why not to trust LVM. Its got a good heritage before it was
imported into Linux. I've been using it for nearly a decade and its
never given me any problems. Its at least as reliable as the extN file
systems and the ReiserFS. I've not used XFS so I can't comment.

I say "NOT!" becuase a subvolume of a BtrFS partition is not really a
new partition, its and administrative & management aspects. In many
ways it behaves like a subdirectory in that it uses space on the
'parent'. You are NOT, repeats NOT mounting a new piece of storage.

The manual page says quite explicitly

<quote>
A subvolume in btrfs is not like an LVM logical volume, which is quite
independent from each other, a btrfs subvolume has its hierarchy and
relations between other subvolumes.
</quote>