[opensuse] Really irritated

Before you start reading this, I'd like to tell you that I am venting some hot air here. So, don't take it personally ... it's not meant in a personal manner.

I'd like to ask the good guys at OpenSUSE, who had the "bright idea", and I am emphasizing the word "bright idea", that an index on a development platform, with terabytes of data and millions of files, was a bright idea. That someone's development machine, could simply be "shut down" for hours or even days, while some meaningless baloo index is running, and finally sending some data to a remote ftp site, via something called "socon" on the computer?

After I got really pizzed at it, I did a simple "rm -f baloo*" to remove all this crap. But some "baloo_file_extractor" was still buzy and denied to be killed off hand. I had to do a system murder, with "reboot" to get this maggot off my machine ... fast. After reboot, some "tracker-" stuff replaced this baloo crap". But it was nowhere has hoggy as the baloo stuff, so I let it be.

Running an index, on Unix, wasn't a bright idea 30 years ago ... and it certainly hasn't gone up the list of "bright ideas" since then. This Operating system, is file system dependant ... meaning, you can't so much as pee without the file system being asked permission. So when something is hacking on the file system, like an indexer ... it pretty much means, everything else is dead in the meantime.

And what's worse ... I am running KDE, what is parcellite doing and gvfs? Why are these gnome daemons, running on my KDE desktop?

Bottom line is, indexing is something people should turn ON, and not something I should be finding myself in the position. That I am desperately trying to find a "kill" button, to turn the bloody thing off, just after it pretty much murdered my system.