Re: [opensuse] KDE for SLED?
On 07/11/14 22:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-11-07 22:42, Peter wrote:

It appears that SLED 12 has GNOME 3. See this page:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLED/12/

Interesting.

There you'll find the following excerpt:

* GNOME 3.10, giving users a modern desktop environment with a
choice of several different look and feel options, including a
special SLE Classic mode for easier migration from earlier SUSE
Linux Enterprise desktop environments

Classic mode. Yep. Makes sense.

Well, after dinner I did in fact locate the following section. I think it's quite interesting the choice of 3 GNOME3-based alternatives. I actually think they made the right call here, though I'm more of a KDE guy myself. They couldn't hold out several more months for a still relatively untested Plasma 5 desktop, and the idea of supporting KDE4 in 2019 seems ridiculous. Any of the other options might not even be around in five years' time. Here's the snippet:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLED/12/#fate-317812

5.2.2 GNOME 3.10 Report Bug #

We ship GNOME 3.10 with SUSE Linux Enterprise 12.

GNOME on SUSE Linux Enterprise is available in three different setups, which are modifying desktop user experience:

SLE Classic: this setup uses a single bottom panel, similar to GNOME desktop as available on SUSE Linux Enterprise 11. This setup is default on SUSE Linux Enterprise 12.

GNOME: this is GNOME 3 upstream user experience, also sometime called "GNOME Shell". This setup might be more adequate with touchscreen.

GNOME Classic: this setup uses two panels (one top panel, one bottom panel) similar to upstream GNOME 2 desktop

The setup can be changed at login time, in GDM, using the gear icon in the password prompt screen. It can also be modified using YaST, systemwide.

Caveats:

With SLE 11 after joining a Microsoft domain, GDM displayed the available domain names as a drop-down box below the user name and password fields. This behavior has changed.

With SLE 12, you must prefix the domain and the winbind separator manually to login. As soon as you click the 'Not listed?' text, GDM will display a hint such as '(e.g., domain\user)'.