Re: [opensuse] KDE for SLED?

On 11/07/2014 01:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-11-07 20:12, John Andersen wrote:
On 2014-11-07 16:13, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
On Friday 07 November 2014 13:55:01 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Why gnome? Because that is what their clients prefer, I expect.

I wonder if they really asked their clients, and if that was the
answer - how
much of that goes from ignorance.
I'm sure they really ask them. They pay...

That's not asking them. That's TELLING them.
Where? Where in the above do I say they tell them them what to use?

They TELL them what they will get, regardless of what they want.

So the only way they get anything else is to go elsewhere, which leave
suse totally in the dark about what customers want.

Henry Ford said you can have any color of car you want, so long as it
was black. He pretty much got away with that.

Suse has no such standing, and merely being the "Expensive Ubuntu" isn't
going to earn then any market share.

Again, as the clients pay they are entitled to tell their provider what they
want, and the
provider asks. I'm sure of that.

How in the hell can you be sure of that?
At my day job we've been paying SLES customers for years, on multiple servers.
Not once were we asked what we want. Its take the money and run.
Have a support question? Its 20 questions from them before you get to ask
yours.

When I asked for features, (easier integration of off the shelf NAS), it was
"not in our plans".

Carlos, buddy, you are blowing smoke. Suse knows nothing of what the customer
wants, is not interested in finding out. They make their living
(if that's what they are doing) by being "Not Red Hat".

Don't get me wrong, SLES is very cool, and the easiest path to getting
everything
up and running for a departmental server, complete with a working ldap (for
everything)
and mail files, printers. Its much less fiddling than Opensuse.

Hey, other
companies ask me about what I bought from them. My car company asked me a
long list of detailed
questions that took me hours to complete! Most companies are interested in
learning what their
clients want.

But not Suse.

(And unfortunately, that attitude carries over into Opensuse quite strongly).

- --