Re: [opensuse] KDE for SLED?
On 07/11/14 22:32, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-11-07 20:12, John Andersen wrote:
On 2014-11-07 16:13, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
On Friday 07 November 2014 13:55:01 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Why gnome? Because that is what their clients prefer, I
expect.

I wonder if they really asked their clients, and if that was
the answer - how much of that goes from ignorance.
I'm sure they really ask them. They pay...

That's not asking them. That's TELLING them.

Where? Where in the above do I say they tell them them what to use?

Again, as the clients pay they are entitled to tell their provider
what they want, and the provider asks. I'm sure of that. Hey, other
companies ask me about what I bought from them. My car company asked
me a long list of detailed questions that took me hours to complete!
Most companies are interested in learning what their clients want.

Further, we have no sales figures, and we have no alternatives.

/You/ do not have sales figures. /They/ have sales figures. And they
don't have to tell you about them.

The market place for Sled is people migrating companies from
Windows, and Windows users are more comfortable in KDE because it
does things in similar ways.

But sled has had gnome for "centuries".

And most of the sales are not, my guess, people like you or me buying
it, but companies buying it for tons of installs in their companies.
They don't have to care about "nice", but about "productivity".

You do not like gnome, many people don't, and I understand that. I do
like gnome 2, and many people do, and you also have to understand
that. And its beauty for SLES/SLED is that you can NOT adjust it.
Almost not. From the employer point of view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Times_%28film%29

;-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

It appears that SLED 12 has GNOME 3. See this page:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLED/12/

There you'll find the following excerpt:

"SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 introduces a number of innovative changes. Here are some of the highlights:

* Robustness on administrative errors and improved management capabilities with full system rollback based on btrfs as the default file system for the operating system partition and SUSE's snapper technology.

* An overhaul of the installer introduces a new workflow that allows you to register your system and receive all available maintenance updates as part of the installation.

* New core technologies like systemd, replacing the time honored System V based init process.

* GNOME 3.10, giving users a modern desktop environment with a choice of several different look and feel options, including a special SLE Classic mode for easier migration from earlier SUSE Linux Enterprise desktop environments

* For users wishing to use the full range of productivity applications of a Desktop with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, we are now offering the SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension

* Integration with the new SUSE Customer Center, SUSE's central web portal to manage Subscriptions, Entitlements, and provide access to Support."

I don't know if it goes on to mention any other options. Frankly the page is so frighteningly long I'd rather go and eat some dinner than find that out.

Peter