Re: [opensuse] KDE for SLED?
On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 12:43 +0100, Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:
Hi All,

I'm asking just out of curiosity, I do not want to start flame wars and I do
not have any strong feelings towards it as I'm not the target audience, as
openSUSE fulfils my needs better than enterprise-grade desktop.

So, from my ignorant point of view it always seemed like KDE is the strongest
point of SUSE amongst all linux distributions. And then suddenly I discover
that SLED offers gnome instead.

Why decision was made to use gnome instead of kde? Have I missed something
important or it's just some single showstoper feature that forced move to
gnome (like evolution-ews probably?)?

--
Regards,
Stas

KDE3 was obsolete, KDE4 was barely functional when it rolled out. GNOME
was the only logical option. I'm pretty sure they haven't updated to
GNOME3. I'd be shocked and a bit horrified if they unleashed KDE 4 on
their users. Even in it's currently more refined state, I still won't
install it for my clients since it increases my costs by several
magnitudes because of its instability and inconsistency. KDE is sweet,
but it's just not really suitable for a commercial distribution.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Project