Re: [opensuse] Btrfs.. Whats the difference
On 11/06/2014 08:05 AM, Joseph Loo wrote:

One of the most important feature of btrfs is the vacuum system where
you can check the state of the file system while it is running, that is
check if the data is intact or to check for bit rot on the file system.

Tell that to Rodney Baker!
He has pointed out that he can't run (conventional) FSCK on his BtrFS.

When people report complete disasters, as he has done, I always do
wonder what went wrong.

In absolute terms no s/w is bug free, but that doesn't mean it is not
usable or stable enough to use. The Linux kernel is in consonant flux
and the same applies to commercial software.

Long ago IBM discovered that there were around 200 clear bugs in /360.
After each new release and upgrade they still found around 200 clear
bugs were reported :-) Software is like that. All of engineering is
like that; it is a human artifice and every bit as imperfect as its
creator. But like its creator it can be quite viable.

The biggest difference I see between commercial software and FOSS is how
they are released. Commercial software can pay for internal testing
before releasing the alpha and beta versions to a small group of
external testers, probably with specific skills and probably under a non
disclosure agreement. FOSS follows the philosophy of "release early,
release often" and is indiscriminate in who its testers are, so that
incomplete or poorly installed/configured releases happen and often get
publicity. And of course the way the internet and google works those
bad reviews and commentaries about version 0.01beta don't make it clear
that they were for 0.01beta and stick around and influence people even
when release 3.5 comes out.

Please note, I'm not saying "because suse released it, it must be good".
Suse released ext3 and ext4 a while back and I find them more difficult
to configure and less reliable than the supposedly unsupported ReiserFS.
Oh, and people don't differentiate between ReiserFS and Reiser4FS when
they badmouth it.

For me, BtrFS as a root file system has proven quite reliable.
That's the BtrFS which came with 12.3 and is not on 13.1. Its seen the
upgrades. I'm not using factory or evergreen.

:~> uname -a
Linux Mainbox 3.11.10-101.g966c1cc-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 31
17:56:41 UTC 2014 (966c1cc) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux