Re: [opensuse] Btrfs.. Whats the difference
On 11/05/2014 06:39 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Different feature set, there is some isolation between subvolumes. It is,
I guess, like different partitions, but flexible, like in LVM. I haven't
read it up, but I'd expect automatic resizing, or manual, but inside the
current media container, which normally would be the entire hard disk.

That is what I've come to believe.
The philosophy behind BtrFS seems to be to take the resource management
we saw with LVM, where the logical extents, which may be on more than
one spindle, are all managed as one pool. The difference between LVM
and BtrFS here is that the pool == file system.

For those of us who are used to using partitions, even LVM logical
volumes, to divide the FS up into manageable chunks for various
reasons[1], this is more scary than a 1980s slasher movie.

There are advantages that cut in, or will eventually, with the COW and
the optimizations that a B-tree system can perform at a global level.

The ability to do RAID of some forms within the file system is
attractive. What IS NOT is that I see no way where I can add another
drive at a later date and make that part of the RAID as opposed to
merely part of the FS. Maybe I'm wrong in that, but all the examples
I've found for RAID with BtrFS involve it being set up at MKFS time.

[1] see the link to /tmp security bug for example.
see the use of "-x" in rync and "-xdev" in find
to limit/speed things up
see the use of partitions to limit how much space a runaway process
can consume before its blocked