Re: No 32-bit phase-out (was Re: [opensuse] 13.2)
On 11/03/2014 08:55 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
What about 16-bit? I remember 16-bit UNIX.
Much more efficient code! Tighter too, shorter pointers.

You leave my 16-bit hot-rod out of this.... There is nothing wrong with ax, bx, cx, dx, es, si, di. All those other bits in the registers are just fertile ground for code-bloat. Next thing you know they will be talking about 64-bit registers and probably adding all kinds of additional registers for sse, mmx and maybe even an 'f' and 'g' -- God forbid... and then generalize effective addressing to registers other than bx... What is the world coming to? ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.