Re: [opensuse] Re: Why uuid its confusing: kernel doesn't recognize it
On 11/02/2014 09:11 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
This is my line in grub 1 menu.lst:

kernel /vmlinuz-3.11.10-21-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-label/a_main
resume=/dev/disk/by-label/b_swap showopts splash=verbose console=tty0
vga=0x31a

Because there it is the *kernel* which does the reading, not grub.
No matter that you thing that you need udev, it is obviously working.

The kernel, that vmlinux (which leads to the initrd on my system)
has other smarts as well. My grub2 menu line has

/vmlinuz-3.11.10-101.g966c1cc-desktop root=/dev/mapper/vgmain-vROOT
resume=/dev/disk/by-label/SWAP splash=silent quiet showopts

Note that "/dev/mapper".
Smarts to deal with LVM.

I betcha some people out there have kernels smart enough to boot from RAID!

"They said it couldn't be done ...."
But this is grub2
(heck, if Microsoft can do it, Linux can do it!)

--
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a
job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity,