Re: [opensuse] Re: offtopic: laptop repair
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Malcolm <malcolmlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue 23 Sep 2014 10:40:04 AM CDT, Greg Freemyer wrote:

Alright, after a decade or more of routinely carrying a laptop around
I just broke my first screen.

It's for a Dell XPS L502X.

Looks like I can spend anywhere from $60 to $300 to replace it. (At
$300 it may be smarter to replace it?)

It looks like the 2 basic options are buying a complete lid with the
screen and bezel already toghether, or I can buy just a screen.

I'm reasonably handy with tools, so I'm wondering what the smart thing
is for me to do. Any advice?

On my own, I will likely order this one from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2721DJ3574&cm_re=dell_xps_l502x_screen-_-9SIA2721DJ3574-_-Product

Any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
Hi

You need to make sure you check the LCD panel part number before
ordering, then search for the part number.

Is it a touchscreen or just a plain 15.6"? If it's just a plain one,
post back the part number and will look in my laptop parts box to see
if I have one.

Thanks for the offer ad it is just a plain one. Using the youtube
video someone linked to and the Dell Service manual I was able to get
the bezel off without too much difficulty.

The screen (not a touchscreen) has "D/PN: 01K0R2" on a sticker on the
back. Googling 01K0R2 I find lots of places to buy it so it looks
readily available.

If you already have screens pulled out it would be great if you
already have one.

Thanks again,
Greg