Re: [opensuse] linux native photo processing, was: Display of raw files in Gwenview

Am 21.09.2014 um 20:28 schrieb John M Andersen:
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:53:50 PM Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [09-21-14 12:28]:
[...]

However I personally havn't found a really satisfying raw processing
solution on Linux (I confess, it's a while since I tested....), so I
still use manufacturers programs or a commercial one in virtualbox/w.

Take a good look at darktable. I went to it from bibble5/AfterShotPro
about 15 months ago and haven't looked back.

(one line)
zypper ar -fr
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/toganm:/photography/openSUSE
_Factory/home:toganm:photography.repo

(one line)
zypper -v up -r "Photography related packages (openSUSE-Factory)"
darktable

Togan Muftuoglu graciously provides latest git builds. I have been using
them for > a year with *very* little problems. And during soccer seasons
I work > 2500/wk and I am running Factory.

I've always thought that Darktable was in a competition with Gimp to see who
could come up with the LEAST intuitive interface. The Principal of Least
Astonishment apparently never crossed their mind.

:-)

Interfaces are something one can get used to if you use it often (although I really searched a lot in darktable...).

What I miss, and why I use manufacturers programs (except Sony: one should prohibit their programmers any access to computers!) is the simplicity and the analogy to camera settings, respectively the possibility to directly apply what I have set in the camera, at least as a base to start...

DxO, which is commercial, can do that. Maybe because they can pay, no idea... I use DxO for the Sony raw's.

These /for me/ important features I haven’t found in any OS/Linux software. Or maybe it is indeed an interface problem and I just didn't know where to click?

google+: https://plus.google.com/109534388657020287386