Re: [opensuse] I can't update Avira antivir - is it me?

On 2014-09-14 21:49, John Andersen wrote:
On 9/14/2014 12:22 PM, John Andersen wrote:

I believe they shut down that update mechanism some time ago, and
you have to update to a newer engine. One of my Ubuntu machines
gets updates regularly, but my slightly older Opensuse does not
get updates and can't use the Ubuntu ones due to different engine
version.

Actually, I take that back, I'm using Clamscan on Ubuntu, and
Clamscan plus Antivir on older opensuse, and the antivir does not
get updates and hasn't for some time. It the same version you
have. I think they no longer offer updates and there is no way to
get them any more.

I see this in the Wikipedia:

+++····················
Consumers products for other platforms

Avira offers Avira Free Android Security for Android v2.2 and later,
as well as Avira Free Mac Security for Mac OS X.

Avira used to offer "Avira Free Unix/Linux" for Unix or Linux
Platform, but has discontinued the product as of 30 June 2013. New
licenses are no longer available, but existing customers will receive
updates until 30 June 2016.[13]
····················++-

That's a shame. Another company that stops producing for Linux.

That [13] points here:

<http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1491>

+++····················
With its powerful Antivirus solutions, Avira is especially able to
meet the needs of the consumer and micro/small business markets.
Today, these fields almost exclusively rely upon Windows or Mac
operating systems. By comparison, Linux installations have been
declining steadily for years.

As a result, by June 30, 2016, we will discontinue our Linux product
sector and concentrate increasingly on developing Avira’s Windows and
Mac OS system product portfolio only. Specifically, Avira AntiVir
Professional Linux, Avira Server Security Linux and Avira Free
Antivirus Linux will be discontinued and Avira Endpoint Security and
Avira Business Security Suite will be offered without Linux support.

Even though the active sales and further development of Linux
products will end on June 30, 2013, Avira will continue delivering
detection updates (engine and VDF updates) for these solutions.

However, please note that from July 2013 on, new licenses and license
renewals for all Linux products will no longer be available. In
individual cases, a licensing exception to existing Linux systems may
be considered for users until the end-of-life date. Please contact
your Avira partner manager for more information.

Disgusting. :-/

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)