Re: [opensuse] streamed radio program question
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:41:39 +0200 (CEST)
Istvan Gabor wrote:

Hello:

I would like to listen and record programs from this streamed radio
program:

http://radio.hrt.hr/

Click on "Slušaj uživo".

This opens a window with a flash player and the stream is played by
flash player.

The stream's exact address is: http://www.hrt.hr/streamf/PROGRAM1

It also starts buffering the program and you can move the slider
backward and forward for selecting what to play. The maximum time
interval for this buffering is 30 minutes.

My questions:

1. What kind of streaming is this exactly? Is there any way to play
the stream with another program/application than flash player? For
example a command line tool which does not require GUI interface.

2. How and where is the buffered sound stored? What is the mechanism
of being able to go back and forward within the 30 minutes time
frame? Is the sound buffered in computer memory, on hard disk, or on
the stream server? How could I find it out?

3. If I turn off playing the stream by clicking the stop button the
buffered sound/time is lost. Turning on it again starts the buffering
from 0 min again. Would it be possible somehow to recover the
previously buffered sound?

I'd appreciate any opinion or suggestion.

Thanks,

Istvan

Hi Istvan,

Here's what I did:

wget http://www.hrt.hr/streamf/PROGRAM1

cat PROGRAM1

Made note of the embedded player code:

<iframe width="100%" height="100%"
src="http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/hrtbig/index.html?callsign=PROGRAM1";
name="HRTstream" style="overflow:hidden;"></iframe>

Tried playing the URL with mplayer (this is one line):

mplayer
http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/hrtbig/index.html?callsign=PROGRAM1

which failed, but yielded more information:

Resolving player.streamtheworld.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server player.streamtheworld.com[208.80.53.144]: 80...

Cache size set to 320 KBytes
Cache fill: 0.54% (1773 bytes)

libavformat version 54.25.104 (internal)

I'm sure that, given enough time, a way can be devised to dump (hence
save) the stream. I don't have that time right now...

hth & regards,

Carl