Re: [opensuse] Hard Disk Upgrades
On 11/09/14 08:37, John Andersen wrote:
On 9/10/2014 2:56 PM, Paul Groves wrote:
I have a 160GB 3.5" Disk for my swap and root partitions and it has a few bad
sectors. I would like to change this disk to a 2.5" 160GB Disk

I also have a 500GB 3.5" disk for my home partition that I would like to
replace with 2x1TB 2.5" in RAID1 (Mirror)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about upgrading my disks? I
have not had to do this in linux before and would like to get it right first
time.

All I know is that cloning the disk in the case of my root drive will not work
due to the disk ID but I cannot find a working guide on how to do this
correctly..

I have no clue what to do for the RAID. My MoBo supports RAID, should I use
this functionality or set up a software RAID with opensuse?

What are the steps to replace a disk in a mirror if one was to fail? Is it a
simple process like on my FreeNAS?

I am using 13.1

I just went through this with my laptop, which developed bad sectors.
I had an external 2.5" inch enclosure (usb2/3). After asking the advice
on the list and getting many suggestions.

I decided to use Clonzilla running from a CDRom.
It offered to clone and resize the partitions to use the whole
drive (new drive was bigger). I chose the conservative way of
just cloning, leaving un-partitioned space available space at the
end of the new drive for when I next install.
[pruned]

A question, John.

One of the HDDs I am replacing this coming weekend contains both installed Windows 7 Professional + partitions formatted in ntfs AS WELL as Linux partitions (ext4). The new HDD will be same size as the one it replaces. The question is- can I just run Clonezilla against the "old" HDD and it will clone both the Winodws and the Linux partitions during the one run or will I need to run Clonezilla separately against the ntfs partitions and then the Linux partitions?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.14.0 & kernel 3.16.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor