[opensuse] Hard Disk Upgrades
  • From: Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
I have a 160GB 3.5" Disk for my swap and root partitions and it has a few bad
sectors. I would like to change this disk to a 2.5" 160GB Disk

I also have a 500GB 3.5" disk for my home partition that I would like to
replace with 2x1TB 2.5" in RAID1 (Mirror)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about upgrading my disks? I
have not had to do this in linux before and would like to get it right first
time.

All I know is that cloning the disk in the case of my root drive will not work
due to the disk ID but I cannot find a working guide on how to do this
correctly..

I have no clue what to do for the RAID. My MoBo supports RAID, should I use
this functionality or set up a software RAID with opensuse?

What are the steps to replace a disk in a mirror if one was to fail? Is it a
simple process like on my FreeNAS?

I am using 13.1

--
Paul Groves