Re: [opensuse] write several usb flash keys at once
On 09/06/2014 03:00 PM, jdd wrote:
Hello,

I received lot of openSUSE usb flash device (8Gb), but empty.

writing one at a time with imagewriter is very time consuming (approx 10
mn each).

But I have 4 usb ports on my tower's front.

And I have this thing I can plug into the single USB on mine which has 4
ports. There's a lot of it about.

Is there a *safe* way to write for device at the same time. using dd
makes me fear to destroy one of my hard drive :-(

Many tools _can_, if you use them incorrectly, damage your hard disk.
Using them incorrectly often invovles using root.

try this

dd if=isoimage.dat of =/dev/.../usb1 bs=.. etc etc etc &
dd if=isoimage.dat of =/dev/.../usb2 bs=.. etc etc etc &
dd if=isoimage.dat of =/dev/.../usb3 bs=.. etc etc etc &
dd if=isoimage.dat of =/dev/.../usb4 bs=.. etc etc etc &

... go have a coffee ...

for appropriate output ports.

Perhaps you could chown them so that all of the above can be run by a
non-root user.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign