Re: [opensuse] Running e2fsck to check ext4 files system
On 09/05/2014 07:37 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 05/09/14 21:23, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne Pá 5. září 2014 21:18:35, Basil Chupin napsal(a):
On 05/09/14 20:37, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-09-05 12:17, Basil Chupin wrote:
I need to check the condition of the file system to determine
whether my
HDD is failing or it is the ext4 file system is corrupted.
I use a rescue usb stick.
Thank you Carlos, but I do not have a 'rescue usb stick' :-) .
Download ISO, dd it to the USB stick and go on. ;-) You only need to
be able
to boot from USB stick. ;-)
Good luck,
Vojtěch

So what you are saying is that the old and trusted 'e2fsck' performed on
a system by going to level #1 is now no longer a working proposition and
that one needs the Rescue DVD/schtik to do this check of the file
system? :-) .

If so, the more we progress the further we move back ;-) .

No, what he's saying is that you can't run fsck on the file system
you're running from.
Running from a usb stick or liveCD guarantees that the HDD you are
checking is not in use.

If the HDD *is* corrupted you don't want to be running from it when you
check it. You want to be running from something that you have
confidence in.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign