Re: [opensuse] memory problem, results in kernel panic
On 09/04/2014 03:48 PM, Ricardo Chung wrote:
On Friday, September 05, 2014 01:14:33 AM Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
My mainboard has place for two DDR1 memory sticks. I have two identical
V-GeN 1GB sticks which should be the max for my mainboard.

With one stick in the first slot the computer runs okay. As soon as I insert
the second stick in slot number two the booting of openSUSE 13.1,
Tumbleweed ends with a kernel panic.
Have extracted the text from the photo I made from the information.

--------------------------
Hardware name: P4i65GV/P4i65GV, BIOS P2.30

Call trace:
try_stack_unwind+0x156/0x170
dump_trace+0x53/0x180
show_trace_log_lvl+0x46/0x50
show_trace_log_lvl+0x51/0xe8
show_stack+0x27/0x50
dump_stack+0x3e/0x4e
panic+0x87/0x195
kernel_init+0xd8/0xe0
ret_from_kernel_thread+0x21/0x30
rest_init+0x70/0x70
DWARF2 unwinder stuck at kernel_init+0x0/0xe0

Leftover inexact backtrace:

Kernel Offset: 0x0 from 0xc0200000 (relocation range 0xf7ffdfff
Rebooting in 90 seconds ..
--------------------------
The strange thing is that e.g. Puppy and even a newly installed Windows 7
on the computer do not have a problems with the 2GB memory and seem to work
okay. Not a windows user so i have not tried it fully out but so far I saw
no problems. Puppy 5.2 works as expected with an older kernel.

Is this a problem with openSUSE or is it caused by the kernel used?
Have also tried a fresh install with kernel 3.11.6.4. No luck. With that
kernel the machine instantly reboots without any information whats however.

Somebody an idea what I should do?

Extract the memory stick. Clean both stick contacts and the slots too (Be
careful with the Electro Magnetic Discharges. Need to follow the proper ESD
procedures), and install both memory sticks again. Sometimes they get dirty or
a little bit loose. It makes false contacts giving multiple inconsistent
issues.
... And follow the advice I got a couple of weeks ago... Run memtest86. The
one on Trinity Resource kit is old and funky. get the most recent and use it.

I had 4 8G parts. it took me 3 days to find the bad one, but I did find it.
Test the parts one at a time.