Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:24:32 +0200
jdd jdd wrote:

Le 30/03/2014 14:57, Carl Hartung a écrit :
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:01:11 +0200
jdd jdd wrote:

but how do you test this restore? For data it's pretty easy to
restore in a temporary place, but for system?

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable / sophisticated methods
available but I just install the replacement drive and partition it
(first 'dry run.') Then I restore, chroot in and run the bootloader
installation. I use the same method to migrate installations to
larger hard drives.

yes, but this needs acces through an opther install or rescu disk,
and most rescue disks are short in tools

what I asked is did you test your last backup method?

Absolutely! It isn't a "backup solution" until it's been tested and
proven to work. WRT 'most rescue disks are short on tools', I have not
experienced this in recent years. I use three 'rescue' tools on a
regular basis:

1) "rescue mode" booted from an openSUSE 12.2 full install DVD (IIRC,
the 12.3 GM counterpart has an ACPI related 'wrinkle' at boot
that I simply prefer to avoid.)

2) openSUSE 12.3 Live Stick

3) Clonezilla boot CD, primarily used for backing up (cloning) non-Linux
partitions.

locally (as desktop), I never really backup system. I case of
failure, I reinstall the newer distribution, but I have a hosted
server (two, in fact) and I maintain rsync backups, but restoring is
not easy, and tsting the restore even less.

In real, the only case I tried to restore a system, I failed :-(

Servers are a completely different realm. In my experience, for the
very reasons you've described, unless you have actual physical access
to the machine or reliable and experienced hands-on support available,
it is usually much more expedient and reliable to recreate the
installation from scratch and then restore, from backups, whatever user
space, databases and config files are needed to bring the services back
online.

Carl