Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On 2014-03-30 17:28, jdd wrote:
Le 30/03/2014 16:39, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

I din't think so. look at the man page:

-c, --checksum
This chan(...)

Note that rsync always verifies that each transferred file was
correctly reconstructed on the receiving side by checking a whole-file
checksum that is generated as the file is transferred, but that
automatic after-the-transfer verification has nothing to do with
this option’s before-the-transfer "Does this file need to be updated?"
check.

Ah, yes, right.

It makes sense, as rsync can be used to repair a badly transferred file,
like a huge DVD iso file, without resending it complete.

what I understand is that checksum *during the transfer* is always done

True. It is probably an overkill. And I do it twice, so double overkill :-)

If you are using XFS partitions, there are very fast applications for
backup/restore. You can either dump an image, or a file copy. Speed is
impressive, but there is no verification. What I do then is use xfs
tools to do the initial copy, then an rsync verification run.

btrfs is said 1) to be next suse default, 2) have the same or similar
option, I yet have to understand how this works on restore :-)

No idea.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >